Storm Safety Tips
No matter where you live in Southern California, you will encounter storms. Most of the time they are routine, but some can cause serious damage and wreckage. Here are some tips for preparing for storms, and weathering them safely.
Before the Storm
- Keep a battery-powered radio in your home so that you can tune to radio stations if you lose electricity. Check the batteries monthly, and replace them as needed.
- Keep a flashlight on every floor of your home in an easily accessible spot.
- Keep a supply of candles on hand in case of power failure.
- Before leaving your house for an extended period of time be sure to unplug all electrical appliances.
- Nail down roof shingles or use adhesive to keep them from blowing in a violent wind.
- Place grounding rods at opposite corners of your home to protect against lightning.
- Keep an eye on large trees that could damage your house in the event of a storm and cut them back if necessary.
During the Storm
- If there are flood threats, seek high ground and stay inside as much as possible.
- Close shutters, board windows, or tape the inside of larger panes with an “X” along the full length of their diagonals.
- If there is a tornado threat, leave windows slightly ajar.
- Take shelter underground, far from your home (in case the roof falls) and away from the gas and sewer systems.
- Try to avoid water because it is a great conductor of electricity.
- Do not use electric equipment.
After the Storm
- Stay tuned to local news organizations for important announcements concerning the storm area.
- Avoid driving as roads may be blocked.
- Avoid metal fences and downed power lines.
- Assume the water is not safe and use properly stored water or boil your tap water.
- Telephone lines will likely be busy in the area so only use a phone for emergencies.
- Contact SERVPRO of Glendora/San Dimas to inspect your home for damage and aid in repairs.
If your home experiences storm damage in the San Gabriel Valley or LA Basin be sure to contact SERVPRO of Glendora/San Dimas for all of your restoration needs.