Keep Your Home Safe During the Holidays!
SERVPRO of Glendora / San Dimas would like to wish everyone a safe holiday season. Between lighting candles for a dinner party, or putting a log on the fire for ambiance, it’s easy to have a beautiful home turn into a fire danger zone. Please look over the 9 main cause of fires below:
1: Cooking- House fires happen most during dinner hours—between 5:00 and 8:00 p.m because they are the most common dinner times.
- For grease fires, only use a fire extinguisher or baking soda. NEVER water.
- Never leave your food unattended. Fires can easily start in a matter of seconds.
2: Heating Equipment - Almost 13% of all residential fires are caused by heating equipment. Make sure to turn off all heating equipment once you have finished using them.
3: Electrical Equipment- Keep an eye out - Look for frayed wires, surge marks in wire, and damaged cords.
4: Carelessness -Leaving a curling iron next to some facial tissue would fall under this category.
5: Open Flame- Candles, fires in the fireplace, and outdoor bonfires are enjoyable when controlled, but disastrous when they’re not, or left unattended.
6: Appliances- If you feel like any of your appliances are acting weird, have a professional come out and service them.
7: Intentional- It should go without saying, arson is a felony and can result in up to 20 years in prison.
8: Smoking - Make sure your cigarettes and cigars are extinguished properly every time.
9: Natural- If you live in an area prone to wildfires, be sure to be aware of your local conditions.