What To Do If A Fire Starts
Fires can cause intense damage fast & cause immediate alarm. Here at SERVPRO of Glendora/San Dimas, our fire experts have years of experience restoring homes after a great loss has occurred. As part of our commitment to ensuring safety to Glendora, San Dimas, La Verne, Covina, Azusa, and surrounding communities, we have provided tips on what to do if a fire starts.
If a Fire Starts:
- If the fire is manageable & you are in a safe position to do so, locate & try to use a fire extinguisher on a fire. Note: if the fire does not immediately die down, drop the extinguisher and get out. Most portable extinguishers empty in 8 seconds.
- Call 911.
- Locate an exit route. Note: If closed doors or handles are warm or smoke blocks your initial escape route, find an alternative way out. NEVER attempt to open doors that are hot or warm to the touch.
- Shout "Fire!" numerous times to alert those around you and go outside right away. Note: If you are in a building with elevators, use the stairs. Save yourself and do not waste time grabbing things
- If your only escape is through smoke, duck close to the ground & go under the smoke.
- If your exit is blocked by smoke, heat, or flames, stay in the room with doors closed. Note: If you’re able to do so safely, place a wet towel under the door and call 9-1-1. Open a window and wave a brightly colored cloth or flashlight and shout to signal for help.
- Once you find a way outside, get away from the building/fire. Note: contact your local fire department if you were unable to do so already.
For more information on what to do if a fire starts, visit https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/fire/if-a-fire-starts.html
These tips are reprinted by SERVPRO of Glendora/San Dimas as a part of our commitment to the community and the environment. Assuring the quality of life for generations to come is something we all must be working on together. For more information regarding our water/fire damage restoration, mold remediation, storm damage repair services, please visit our website at https://www.SERVPROglendorasandimas.com or call us at (626) 852-9922