Damage in your apartment? Who’s Responsible in the State of California?
Rain in California nowadays seems like a supernatural phenomenon but back in January of 2018, violent downpours of rain hit the City of Montecito; killing 21 people.
If you’re a renter, you may have been displaced during this storm. Also, if there was a broken pipe, drain damaged, you wouldn't know where to turn to.
If the rental unit is in need of a repair for broken furnishings, pipes burst, broken A/C unit,water damage, etc, it is the landlords responsibility to fix those repairs under the implied warranty and signed/verbal contract. Failure to fix those repairs can be dangerous and possibly affect your health and might even affect the surrounding tenant. According to California Civil Code section 1941, the landlord is responsible for providing tenants with habitable living conditions and repair any problem that prevents an uninhabitable environment. Unless, if the problems were caused by tenant, guests, children, and or pets.
Steps for the Renter:
- Do not enter area if affected by electrical outlets, switches, electrical equipment that are exposed to water.
- If possible, turn off the water source or any running water
- Remove as much excess water as possible
- Place Aluminium foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
- Move any personal belongings to a dryer place
Contact for help
- Contact the landlord immediately
- Address if any of your personal property was ruined
- In case of a severe water damage, speak with your landlord if lease can be evicted, cancelled, and or evicted with or without penalty.
Steps for the Landlord
Assess the Damage
- The facility itself, all attached furnishings, and utilities will be covered under the landlords property insurance
- Damages to the tenants/landlords personal property is not covered by the landlords property insurance. Whichever party is at fault for the water damaged will be held responsible for repairing/replacing personal property.
How Can SERVPRO Glendora / San Dimas Help?
SERVPRO is a trusted leader in the restoration industry and is dedicated to providing quality service. Our highly trained technicians are quick to respond with our 24-hour emergency, for your water damage restoration needs.
No disaster is too big for SERVPRO Glendora / San Dimas.